All Things Pizza - Pizza Fun Facts
October is National Pizza month in the US, so designated in 1987. Pizza is one of America's most popular foods, with approximately 69,000 pizzerias in the US!
To celebrate Pizza Month, here are some other fun facts about pizza:
* Pepperoni is the most popular pizza topping in America
* Anchovies are the least popular pizza topping in America
* Americans eat about 100 acres of pizza every day
* Pizza ranks as the most popular food with kids ages 3 to 11
* 3 billion pizzas are sold annually, that's 46 slices each for every man, woman and child in the country.
* 62% of Americans prefer meat toppings on pizza while only 38% prefer the vegetarian variety
* Thin crust is the most popular with 61% of pizza lovers preferring thin crust. 14% vote for thick crust or deep dish as their favorite.
* The world's most extravagant pizza can be found at Nino's Bellisima in New York City. The 12 inch pizza, topped with caviar, lobster, creme fraiche and chives, sells for $1000.
That's $125 for each slice. The pizza must be ordered 24 hours in advance, as the caviar has to be ordered.